Follow HTML

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Big Sur and Dennis the Menace

June 30 - July 1st





Okay.  So I will start with this.  Blogging about this trip didn't go exactly as I expected.  I envisioned glorious days that ended with me relaxing in the glow of my computer, hashing it all out for you.

Well.  The trip is over.  We are back home. And we only got you updated for half the trip.  The reality is that I was a terrible balancer of time, internet connectivity, and computer battery.  I almost always had one of these things.  Occasionally had two.  But rarely had all three at the same time.  I considered the possibility that I should just end the blog here and let word of mouth answer the rest of the questions.  After all, we are already home!  But then I remembered the real reason for this blog.  I want to remember it.  We have been home two days and holes are already starting to form in this crazy quilt of an adventure.  So…I am just going to keep going from memory!  Keep sharing our favorite pictures and the stories that went with them.  Keep confessing how terribly bad we were at keeping our $3,000 goal in check.  And hopefully manage to keep these memories forever.  

Now.  With THAT out of the way… why don't we start with one of my favorite places.  Big Sur, CA.  Everyone told us to go to Big Sur.  Everywhere we went, strangers that learned of our journey insisted that we must go to Big Sur.  Clearly Big Sur was a Big Deal.  I actually had no idea what it was all about!  So, let me just tell you!  It is the kind of place that our campy camper feels right at home and simultaneously out of place.  It is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen.  The dunes are a carpet of flowers and moss.  The waves crash on jagged rock.  You might find a washed up shark.  We did.  It is a place to find the perfect rock for Dizzy's growing collection.  It was a stunning place.  We were completely surprised by everything we passed.  Big Sur is kind of a Big deal.













After our beautiful, but very cloudy morning at the beach, we headed into Monterey to see what we could find there.  A bit of advice…if you ever consider going to Monterey, the masses will tell you that you should go to the Monterey Aquarium.  They may be right.  We, however, skipped it entirely and stumbled on the most amazing playground.  We spent the whole day there!  The Dennis the Menace Playground was spearheaded in 1956 by Hank Ketcham, the creator of Dennis the Menace.
It is crazy awesome! My favorite part was the super cool Red Rolly Slide made entirely of rolling bars. Now I know what luggage feels like being shoved out of an airplane!









It was a really fun day that we didn't spend a dime on.   Speaking of dimes….it is time to sum of the trip to this point of our journey.

Our Trip Summed Up:

Currently in:  Monterey, CA
Days Remaining:  11
Miles Driven:  4,475
Money Spent on Gas:  $1,316
Money Spent on Sleeping:  $241
Money Spent on Food:  $793
Money Spent on Other:  $235
Total Spent:  $2,584



No comments:

Post a Comment